8:44 PM Unknown 0 Comments


Let’s talk digestion!

Traditionally, digestion is one of those avoided subjectswhen in mixed company, but let’s face it: everyone struggles with some kind ofdigestive issue at one time or another in their lives. Nearly everyone in myfamily has dealt with some sort of tummy trouble, myself included. Not only amI lactose intolerant, I also struggle with digesting red meat and spicy foods(which I LOVE by the way L)and trouble with digestion in general (bloating, irregularity, etc.) almostevery day. My digestive issues really presented an obstacle for me while inprep because no one wants to be bloated/having irregularity during the timewhen they’re trying to look their leanest. So, for the past few months I’vebeen trying various products to see what works for me personally and what doesn’t.Below I’ve compiled a list of supplements and natural remedies that have helpedme deal with some of my digestive issues. *side-note: these are in noparticular order!


*Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, nor do I have any type oflicense in medicine or nutrition. This is purely based off of what works for mepersonally.

Also, if you’re looking for even more help with digestion,check out this video by Randi Kennedy where she goes in depth about some of thesupplements she takes every day to combat her digestive issues.


1. Water! – This may seem obvious, but I can personally tellwhen I haven’t had enough water. Everything kind of slows down, if you catch mydrift, and your body has a harder time performing daily functions, likedigestion, when not properly hydrated. I personally aim for at least a gallonof water every day, if not more.

2. Apple cider vinegar – ACV has numerous health benefits incase you haven’t heard yet. It can be used externally for skin, hair, and even asan all-natural cleaner in your home and internally to help curb cravings andreducing bloating by aiding in digestion. Make sure you buy the kind that stillhas the “mother.” I personally have noticed less bloating and food sensitivitywhen I take a shot in the morning. I also notice less cravings and an overalldecrease in appetite as well, which can be SUPER beneficial during prep. I usedto just take a straight shot of it, but now I usually mix it into juice orwater. Just be careful because it’s extremely acidic! *I use Bragg’s organicapple cider vinegar WITH the mother.

3. Digestive enzymes – I think this is pretty much a givenfor anyone who has experienced digestive troubles. Personally, I’ve had greatresults from drugstore brand enzymes, such as CVS or HEB’s brands – plus they’reusually cheaper than the brand name ones you would find on Amazon or atGNC/supplement shops. I think you just have to test out a few brands and seewhat works best for YOU! *I’m currently using the HEB brand digestive enzymes,and they work just fine!

4. Dandelion root – *Research this before you decide to useit* I was a little hesitant to write about this because I’ve only used ittwice, but so far I’ve noticed good results, so I thought I’d include it. Mostpeople use dandelion root to drop water weight/tighten up before a show, whichis why I originally purchased it (I didn’t actually use it for my show forthose curious). I actually used it after over-indulging in order drop waterfrom the excess carbohydrates I had consumed, and when I say excess, I meanEXCESS. Upon doing a bit more research, I discovered that it can also be usedas a natural laxative and also as a digestive aid and remedy for upsetstomach/gas/bloating. I can attest that it has assisted in all of these areas,and I’ve noticed overall better digestion when taking it. However, I wouldn’t recommendtaking it every day, maybe once or twice a week maximum, because it can easilydehydrate you. As mentioned in #1, make sure you’re drinking enough water! *Iused the Nature’s Way brand Dandelion root capsules.

5. Probiotics – I’ve tried several drugstore probiotics, andI haven’t really found one that I’ve noticed a big enough difference to keeptaking it. However, the one I’ve liked the most is the Phillips Colon Healthprobiotic capsules (the one in the pink packaging). It does the job, but myonly complaint was that I felt like after taking it for 1-2 months, my body gotused to it, and therefore it became less effective. But I would try it beforecounting it completely out, each person’s body works differently.
6. Fiber – The average person does NOT consume the necessaryamount of fiber they should have in a day. Fiber can be found in pill/powderform in supplements and in sources including but not limited to: beans, wholegrains, bran, prunes, dark leafy greens, broccoli, sweet potatoes, oats, and fruitsand vegetables. Some protein bars also contain fiber. I aim for anywhere from20-25g of fiber per day. I also make sure not to eat too much fiber, as thiscan also result in poor digestion.



I hope this helps someone who is also struggling withdigestive issues! Leave a comment down below with some of your favoriteremedies or products for help with digestion! J

0 comments :